Five Life Lessons Running Taught Me


Five Life Lessons Running Taught Me

Runner's Wisdom

Woman running uphill

I'm training for my first full marathon. It's a feat I never thought I could do. In honor of this, I wanted to write an ode to running. I ran off and on throughout my 20s, but didn’t get serious about it until a friend encouraged me to sign me up for a half marathon last year. I ran that 13.1 miles and it changed my life. Here are the five life lessons running taught me.

Want a life less than ordinary? Be less than ordinary

Running during sunset.
I used to be the kind of person who just let life happen to her. I did the same thing, day in and day out, and had the gall to complain about how bored I was. Then a friend suggested to me to run a half marathon with her. It was ludicrous! I’d never run more than two miles in my life. But I said yes. I took a leap and everything changed. The world’s most uncoordinated girl became a runner, and it encouraged me to seek out more strange opportunities to grow and expand myself. Now, I look back and see that, like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, I had the power all along to change my circumstances. See, you just have to leave your comfort zone, and it’s easier than it sounds. All it takes is simply saying, “Yes.”

Naysayers are criticizing themselves, not you

Naturally, when you tell people you’re taking up any new activity, you attract critics. “Oh, you’ll ruin your knees.” “You’re not athletic.” “You should try something a little easier.” Ug. They were discouraging at first, until I realized their dirty little secret. Naysayers aren’t telling you what you can’t do; they’re telling you what they can’t do. Every person who told me that running was a bad idea was a person who would never attempt something so grand. So shake off the haters. Their criticism has nothing to do with you.

Get by with a little help from friends

Exercise
The stubborn introvert in me sometimes shies away from group activities. Ever since I was a kid, I had this “I can do it myself” attitude. But any goal that’s bigger than you will require help. The best runs I ever had were with my team. The four of us girls would gab and laugh all the way through our trails. Their encouragement made a ten-mile run feel like a walk in the park. Never underestimate your support system. They are there to help you, because as Maya Angelou wrote, “Nobody, but nobody can make it out here alone.”

Don’t give up; You always have a little bit left

Running is hard. Running long distances is even harder. I can remember so many days during my training when I would just hit a wall of exhaustion. Every step was a strain. Even my toenails hurt. But what I found interesting about pushing my limits is that I realized how far out my limits really were. I am so much tougher than I thought I was. I have more endurance that I could have guessed. And when I feel like I have nothing left, there is always a little more strength and a little more energy. It makes quitting impossible, because when you know you have more to give, giving up is not an option.


You truly can do anything you set your mind to


I know it sounds cliché, but the day these words sink into your soul, you will never be the same. We limit ourselves with our words (“I can’t… I won’t… I shouldn’t…”). We limit ourselves with our actions by existing as a slave to the routine. And, mostly, it’s all in our heads. Your mind is the most important tool you have, and if you break free from what you think you can and cannot do, not even the sky is the limit.

In the spirit of runners everywhere, I hope you know that you have no idea what you’re capable of. You are brave and strong. So, get active on the journey of your life. It has trails and dreams that you never imagined.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Ways to Inspire Others

10 Hidden Health Secrets of Coffee